Li Li

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My mum, my brother

I really admire my mum. To have an autistic son like my brother. She's one of the most amazing and strong people I know! Some people can't even deal with being near a person like Shane for a few moments, yet mum has been there for him throughout his entire life. She has loved him, given all she can for him even though he has been and still is difficult to control and handle. She has taught him to read and write when the doctors said it wasn't possible. She has disciplined him for his bad (and sometimes offensive) behaviour, which can be nearly everyday. She oversees his health and hygiene and overall well-being, inlcuding little things like brushing his teeth or washing his face. Even now I find Shane hard to handle, physically, emotionally and mentally.
So I'm praying that God will strengthen me, because one day, the day when my parents depart for heaven, my sister and I will have to take care of him. That's another thing as well, I would never be with a guy who cannot accept my brother. Like my mum always tells me 'if he's marrying you he's marrying your brother too.'
My brother Shane is my inherritance. And what a blessed one too! We're so blessed to have him. My parents came from homes with very little love yet in a way Shane taught them unconditional love. They have loved him and my sister and I. Shane has also taught us patience and tolerance (and much more), which is an area which I am struggling with at the moment (but working on with God's help!).
So we thank the Lord for Shane. Some may see him as a burden but we see him as a blessing!

5 Comments:

At 12:29 am, Blogger Miss Tsang said...

Love the post, :)

 
At 5:04 pm, Blogger Rie said...

thanks! love the comments! :D you're the only one so far...

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger ruthjanine said...

great post rie - so powerful!

 
At 1:38 am, Blogger Rie said...

Thanks girls! I appreciate the comments and like to know what you think!

 
At 11:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right sweetie. koko is a unique inheritance, he's not just for anyone, and your husband would have to be one special person to deserve him too.

love, yer favorite aunt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home