Li Li

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What is my true potential?



Today I walked to the beach again. I strolled up and down the coastline picking up beautiful shells along my way, bending down every few steps to view something special and unique, everything I looked at, i couldn't find the same thing anywhere else. God's creation is amazing, and every time I'm closer to nature i feel closer to God. I don't know why. I hope I'll never take anything for granted, it is such a blessing to live in Perth!
LAtely i've been confused as to who I am and what God wants me to do with my life. I still have doubts about my course, whether it is what he wants me to do. What are my gifts? I don't know what I'm passionate about and what my true gifts are. I've been good at everything i've ever tried out (except singing, not procrastinating and my current uni course). While some people might think that's pretty cool it kinda confuses me more as to what my gifts are. All i'm sure about is that I'm passionate about kung fu. Otherwise I don't know what i want to do with my life, i don't know what God wants to do with my life. Why don't i have any direction? maybe God has answered my prayers but i'm not listening? or haven't realised the answer. I quite envy the people who know exactly what their calling is and they have a life goal and direction. I guess this is rare with people my age but i do know a few, some even younger, and they seem like they got it all sorted out as they know where they are going.
Meanwhile i'll just go with the flow and ask Him to help me make the right choices. I guess in time i would know...
ON a different note. Here's a poem I wrote in yr 9. I used the metaphors of a violin and pyramid because he loved to play the violin, and pyramid, thats explained in the poem:
Grandpa
He is an antique violin.
With a hard outer casing, solid, rigid, firm, all for protecting what's within-
An instrument so fragile, delicate, brittle and fine - to be handled with caution
Tough to play but when played with honour, precision and accuracy,
He can be passionate, charming, agreeable, entirely delightful, gentle and pure, yet
Melancholic, grievous, sombre, mournful, and filled with depression and woe.
He is an authentic, a regarded original, made with emotion, eagerness, intensity and
above all...love.
Those who make an effort to listen to his silver-tone are filled with awe, admiration,
fascination and sometimes infatuation-
For he is one of the most beautiful instruments in the world.
He is an ancient pyramid.
Timeworn, old, barren and dry,
But still standing towering and mighty,
Yet solitary and companionless.
In his earlier life he'd been ill treated, abused, robbed and exploited.
But many riches and kings have been laid in him,
Which he tried to defend but all in vain...
He may be falling apart and feeble, abandoned, (his relations have departed,)
But he remains unforgotten -
And still one of the most beautiful wonders of the world.
My teacher took a copy of this poem for a young writers competition as well as publishing it in the school's magazine. The more i think about it the more this poem really reflects who my Grandfather was and his life. My grandfather passed away this year. Even though I could never hold a conversation with him, as we didn't speak the same language, and even though we lived in different countries, writing this poem made me feel closer to him. The power of words huh?

1 Comments:

At 11:22 pm, Blogger ruthjanine said...

wow rie so beautifully written!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home